Monday, June 25, 2012

Into the Wild...the aftermath

Last Friday, we headed to Charles Lindbergh State Park by Little Falls, Mn.  We love the cart-in campsites because we are more secluded.  It also means it's generally a longer walk to the bathrooms, but I got lucky this time!  A short walk up a hill, through the woods, and wa-la- a spider infested restroom awaits!  I love camping, but I could surely do without the spiders.  Don't worry. I manage.  I keep my eye on them.  Every time I enter the bathrooms, I scan to make sure they are hanging out in their usual spots.  If one happens to be missing, my eyes quickly dart around to see where it may have skirted off to hide.   At least I didn't have to deal with an outhouse at this campground!

I don't even want to talk about my heart pounding episodes of the 4am bathroom trips...SCARY when it's pitch dark and I could hear the animals scittering in the woods.  Walking those trails -- totally a scary movie scene!  I had my trusty flashlight and I walked as fast as possible.  Jamie felt bad for me one time and came with me.   The rest of the times, he just kept sleeping - dead to the world of things that go bump in the night!  He laughs at me when I explain my fears of the creepy guy who could swim through the river right up to our campsite or the stalker who could be waiting in the woods.  Am I paranoid?  Cautious? Crazy?  Or do all women have these same fears?

Despite the spiders and my mind games, all in all, the weekend was peaceful!  Our campsite was perfect; Pike Creek was flowing gently beside us, and the trees were providing protection from the light overnight rain and the beating of the sun during day.  We had very few visitors on the nearby trail, so nature kept us company with its busy squirrels and the little muskrat in the river.  The first camping trip of the summer was a welcomed vacation filled with relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment